Sunday, July 14, 2013

Death, Tokens and Patrick Jane

Today I went to a wake.  The husband of one of my co workers passed away after being sick for many years.  It was still sad.  Death is always sad even if it is a salamander you shouldn't have taken from a lake at age 7.  I hate wakes (I think everyone does if there is something who does well...I probably don't have you as a Twitter friend).  I always feel like a chump saying "I'm so sorry for your loss."  Like that solves anything.  It is like putting a band aid on an open heart surgery patient.  Of course it is better the woman in front of me in line who remarked: "Boy, he looks great!"  Eye roll to the heavens forever, lady.

What does this have to do with Patrick Jane?  I'm getting there, I promise, before the next shark falls on Santa Monica.  My grandmother lost the man she loved since she was a teenager.  She never took off her ring.  She would constantly look at it and think of "her Joe" and having that ring on her finger made her feel closer to him.  My mom's friend, on the other hand, removed her wedding ring after her husband was actually killed.  She couldn't look at it- it was a token of the lost she had endured because of a crazy ex.  She instead buried it with her spouse.

Jane still wears his wedding ring.  Yes, see I did spin this around to that handsome blonde. The question is does he wear it to remember his wife or to make himself remember what he did that caused her death?  I could see Jane keeping the ring on to give himself some pain...to make him feel that loss.  The shoes he wears seem to be old and maybe a token of that old life.  Maybe it makes him happy to wear shoes his wife picked out.  I, of course, am not Bruno Heller (I would be really cool if I was and a masterful writer).   So I can only offer conjecture and make a theory about what having the ring means to Jane.

When The Mentalist does end I will be the odd fan wondering if in that last Patrick Jane scene if he'll have his shoes, the suit and that ring.  And then of course I shall spend the next twenty years debating (maybe with myself if you guys learn to move on) what it all means.  I already know that my DVDs and Mentalist grab bag of items I will keep and look at fondly remembering the show, the people I met because of it, the people who made it and yes, I will smile.  It just won't be dripping with blood (I hope).

No comments:

Post a Comment