Monday, September 2, 2013

The Great Moments of Amanda Righetti and Owain Yeoman

If it weren't for Amanda Righetti it probably would have taken me longer to become a rapid fan of The Mentalist.  If it weren't for Owain Yeoman I may never have signed up on Twitter and met all these wonderful people.  So this blog post is a little thank you to them and the characters they have created.  Now I'm sure you have read or heard the rumors but I am not going to comment on that.   Until anything is official it isn't a done deal in my book.  (Or I just don't want to deal with it.)

I began watching The Mentalist with the pilot.  Being a fan of Simon's from his Guardian and Smith days and overdosing on Robin's movie career (I had already seen Cherish probably 20 times)- I was excited to see both of them together on the small screen.  I wasn't too familiar with Tim- just from seeing his commercials.  Amanda I knew from Reunion, a short lived series, where her Jenna was one of the best things the show had going for it.  Owain I had adored already from his time on The Nine.  Although it didn't last long Owain was unforgettable as good/bad guy Lucas.   So once I saw the previews for TM I knew I would watch this show.  The premise sounded good and it featured actors that I was a fan of already.

The opening sequence of The Mentalist pilot was beyond excellent.  This Bruno Heller kid (along with Simon's acting) made the audience know right away who Jane was and what he was about.  So yes I was hooked.  But it wasn't until the restaurant scene that I knew this was my new favorite show- thanks to Righetti.  See the scene below:

What I loved about this
was that Righetti became the audience.  Grace was already charmed by Jane (as we were) but also questioning how good of a guy this was (as we should have been).  Grace is calm but still puts Jane into his place- one of the few times anyone has ever done this.  Baker was excellent, Yeoman was hilarious and Righetti sold it (and thus the show to me).



Owian Yeoman began a Twitter account two years ago.  When I discovered this I decided to join up just so I could follow him.  (I wasn't disappointed- he was as nice as he seemed and funny).  Because of that I ended up meeting other Mentalist fans which has honestly enriched my life.  So thank you, Owain for that.  Usually Owain is known for bringing the funny.  He has wonderful chemistry with both Tim Kang and Amanda always making their scenes together sparkle.  He allows Rigsby to be nearly fully lighthearted in contrast to Jane's dark and sometimes light sides.  Rigsby is our bright light in the dark tunnel because even when things are bad he tries to find something good or a way out of the dark.   If you haven't watched Blood Feud which was Rigsby's Red Badge do so.  Yeoman gives the kind of performance that if it were on cable he would have been awarded an Emmy nod.  We get to see all these new layers and sides of Rigsby as Rigsby and thus Yeoman takes us on a rollarcoaster of emotions.  It is a brilliant piece of acting from a great script by Jordan Harper and direction from Anton Cooper.   Here is one scene to highlight:



Amanda Righetti's top 5 episodes:
1. My Bloody Valentine -Year 4 was so good to Righetti as Van Pelt went through a metamorphosis after killing her Red John friend fiance.  This ep in particular finds Righetti stretching all sort of acting muscles as she deals with the image of that dead fiance.

2. Blood and Sand- Righetti shows Van Pelt's anger and uneveness as she works the case. 

3. His Thoughts Were Red Thoughts- Here she goes ttoe to toe with the great Malcolm McDowell and shows just how good she is.

4. Bloodshot- The comedy is great and then in the last final scenes Van Pelt goes through anger, fear and UST.  All displayed effortlessly by Righetti.

5. Russet Potatoes- One scene in particular is amazing.  Yeah the kiss is hot, her worriedness about Wayne is great but it is when she calls out the Dr.  and tells him that he's going to have to up his game that makes me want to applaud.

Owain Yeoman's top 5 episodes:
1. Blood Feud- See above- it is one hell of a gripping ep with perfect acting.

2. Like a Red Headed Stepchild- Rigsby confronts his old man and has a grown up telling off (but with a kiss) to Van Pelt.  Yeoman at his finest.

3. Rose Colored Glasses- Hilarious as Rigsby tries to have a memory palace and fool the rest of his fake classmates.  I always crack up with the "Willa, imma gonna need just a minute".  Yeoman has always been the master of the reaction shot, too. 

4. Russet Potatoes- Owain does a great job here going back and forth between comedy and gulping matters (Rigsby asking Jane to stop hurting him). 

5. Red in Tooth and Claw- Hilariousness again and great scenes between him and Kang's Cho. 

They both deserve a wow for Red Velvet Cupcakes.  The car scene, in the radio studio where their actual feelings are explored and the last scene are perfect examples of their chemistry and abilities.

No matter what is to happen I thank both Amanda Righetti and Owain Yeoman for bringing such pleasure to The Mentalist.  Agents Grace Van Pelt and Wayne Rigsby have been beloved for 5 years because their protrayers made them such well rounded, interesting characters.   They are both great at the comedy and the drama making them valuable actors for any project they take part in.  I know wherever life takes Righetti and Yeoman I will be watching to see their next great moment.

No comments:

Post a Comment