Monday, March 24, 2014

Saying Goodbye to Rigsby and Van Pelt: A Review of White As the Driven Snow

So what does one do when one's head is full of fogginess?  If I were as awesome as Grace Van Pelt I would just break out of my prison and at least attempt to save myself.  But alas I am not.  I had big plans for this review- in depth (or so I like to pretend) analysis of the episode.  I wanted a real good goodbye from me to Owain Yeoman and Amanda Righetti for their wonderful work.  I wanted pork...wait, that was another night.  So thus I left now feeling guilty if I don't write something and trying to make my head that is ill work properly to help me.  But I have never been one to give up so below here is sort of review of the episode we say goodbye to the Rigsbys.  I do not own the picture and of course this is full of spoilers.





-Usually this is where I recap the plot but I will just start off sending kudos out instead.  Whomever made that winter paradise did a great job.  It looked beautiful- beauty in the face of the horror going on.  I bought the snow as real even though I knew it wasn't.    Director Chris Long framed the shots beautifully especially that last scene of Jane and Lisbon that harkened back to the season 3 episode- Red Sky at Night.  Writer Egohan Mahony gave us fans so many Easter egg treats in the forms of shout-outs to previous eps while constructing an epically brilliant and ultimately beautiful ep.  I will also send out kudos to editor Jimmy Gadd who always gives us something special while moving the action along at a great clip.  The acting in this episode was perfect.  William Mathoper as Hailbach, Lisa Darr as his sister, Simon, Tim, Robin, Emily, Rock and the Rigsby's themselves.  Amanda Righetti hit all the right notes- showing fear, smarts and faith all etched on her face.  Owain Yeoman got to bust out as Rigsby- going to Jane like lengths and showing his range of talent. 

-This episode was such a perfect way for the characters to say goodbye while celebrating them for how special they were.  Grace was tough and smart right till the end.  I loved that she escaped by herself and really had no other choice but to go with Hazel.  Usually storylines like this follow cliches, this episode did not.   Rigsby showed how far a man will go to save the woman he loves even if it means breaking all the rules.  It parallels Jane's determination to get Red John.  I loved that even shot Rigsby didn't give up- Cho always said he was stubborn and he proved it here.  Rigs got to do what Jane wished he could have- saved his wife.  When Rigs tells Grace that he will always save her it reminded me of Jane telling Lisbon the same thing in Blood Money. 

-I also adored that Rigsby and Van Pelt got a happy ending- and one that made sense!  How often are goodbyes contrived or done to make an OMG splash.  Instead The Mentalist choose to make the goodbye logical- they have a family, they can't put themselves in harm's way.  In this way Rigsby does again what Jane didn't- he removes his family from the danger even though he admitted earlier that he wanted to be FBI.  Jane choose to continue to be a physic after Angela asked him to stop.

-The last scene of the team together is so bittersweet.  The goodbye to the old and the ushering in of the new (literally as Abbott and Kim stop by with a plant).  The biggest part of that scene- Jane hugs them.  Jane, the none hugger, unless he's conning you.  But it reflects that Jane finally accepts he has a new family.  For the whole show Jane has insisted that the CBI and thus the team where just his way to get Red John.  But alas when Grace is kidnapped Jane finally wakes up and smiles the ...tea.  He is heartsick and when he threatens Haibach he means it.  If Grace is dead and Wayne never the same again- a piece of Jane dies, too.  Yes, he would want vengeance.  The look on Jane's face when Rigs lies bleeding...there is no doubt he loves the guy.   Jane helping Rigsby rescue Grace thus is Jane's full circle- he aids in one man saving his family.  Now Jane must begin to realize what Rigsby foreshadowed in the opening- that there is a different family vibe with Lisbon. 

This episode not only gave two main characters a proper farewell but also moved along the story and thus Jane's journey to fully embrace life once again.


Next week:  There is some ep written by the great Jordan Harper featuring a shipper's dream and Lisbon showing she has legs.  I guess it will be good ;)


No comments:

Post a Comment